Mom has a recipe for everything. Most of them are one-bowl, require only a wooden spoon, and take minutes to make. Thanks, Mom!
Mom’s cornbread (sometimes muffins) slathered with honey butter has been an extremely frequent visitor to my mouth throughout my entire life. My sister Diana has taken this recipe on and makes it for her family regularly, and my niece Allison helps every time. Recipes passed down from generation to generation is why we are here, kids! Cue. The. Tears.Print
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup flour*
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk**
- 1/2 stick of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Sea salt
- Note: Add a pint of blueberries or raspberries for a really good time!
What You’ll Do
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Mix all ingredients (except honey, butter and sea salt) together in a bowl with a wooden spoon. Grease and flour your pan(s). Place batter in pan(s) and let sit for 20 minutes before baking. Your batter will rise a bit and get bubbly – that’s all that baking powder doing it’s thing!
- IF you are adding berries, coat them lightly in flour (so they don’t sink to the bottom of the batter) then stir to incorporate into batter.
- How long you bake this perfect cornbread depends on what kind of pan you are using, so read carefully:
- Loaf pan: Bake 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- Muffins: Bake 15-20 minutes until tester comes out clean.
- 9×9 pan or similar: Bake 20-25 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- While your cornbread masterpiece bakes, combine butter and honey together, place in a small ramekin and top with sea salt.
- Slather it all over warm bread and serve!
*Gluten free All-Purpose 1:1 flour can be used.
**Any non-dairy milk can be used.
Make It Step By Step With Me:
Gang’s all here!
1. Grab a bowl.
2. Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup cornmeal, and 1 cup sugar.
3. Add 4 teaspoons baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt.
4. Add ¼ cup vegetable oil, 1 egg, 1 cup milk.
5. Grab your wooden spoon.
6. Stir to combine.
7. Grease and flour your pan(s). Place batter in pan(s) and let sit for 20 minutes before baking.
How long you bake this perfect cornbread depends on what kind of pan you are using, so read carefully:
Loaf pan: Bake 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
Muffins: Bake 15-20 minutes until tester comes out clean.
9×9 pan or similar: Bake 20-25 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
8. While she bakes, let’s make some honey butter!
9. Add ½ stick of unsalted butter, softened and 1 tablespoon honey to a small bowl.
10. Stir to combine.
11. Add honey butter to ramekin and top with sea salt.
12. She’s done! She’s gorgeous! We love her!
13. Let cool slightly, carefully remove from pan, slice and slather with honey butter.