What I love most about pasta is how easily and reliably I can get an unforgettable delicious pasta dish on the table to share with family and friends. My new Spaghetti with Creamy Eggplant Sauce and Garlicky Pumpernickel Breadcrumbs recipe is a great example: Roasted eggplant, tomatoes and shallots are blended with starchy pasta water to make a ridiculously creamy and dreamy sauce that coats every strand of perfectly al dente spaghetti. Topped with homemade garlicky pumpernickel bread crumbs and grated parmesan, it’s an instant crowd pleaser that no one will forget!
Watch me make this recipe on Instagram!Print
What You’ll Need
- 1 pound box of Barilla Spaghetti
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pint (16 oz) cherry tomatoes
- 3 shallots, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups of cubed pumpernickel bread
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
What You’ll Do
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a parchment-lined sheet pan, add 1 large cubed eggplant, 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, 3 chopped shallots, 8 garlic cloves, 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1/2 cup of red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Coat everything evenly and place pan in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of cubed pumpernickel bread and 3 cloves of peeled garlic into a food processor. Pulse about 6-8 times, creating small crumbs. Set aside. Heat 1/3 cup of olive oil over medium heat in a pan. Add breadcrumbs and stir for 10-15 minutes until they get dark and crispy. Add to a bowl with 1/2 cup of grated parmesan and combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of well-salted water to boil. Add spaghetti and set the timer for 10 minutes, ensuring perfectly al dente pasta. Reserve 2 cups of pasta water, strain pasta and set aside.
- Remove vegetables from the oven. Carefully add them to a blender. Add 1 cup of pasta water. Blend until you have a smooth and creamy sauce. Pour sauce over spaghetti and stir to combine, adding more pasta water if needed.
- Plate your spaghetti and top it with breadcrumbs and extra grated parmesan! Enjoy!